Dr Mirela Sedic (born Bauman) (ORCID iD https://orcid.org/0000-0003-4679-1541; https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Mirela_Sedic) is Associate Professor at the University of Rijeka Department of Biotechnology in Croatia. She has authored 50 scientific publications in peer-reviewed journals including high-impact journals such as BBA Molecular Basis of Disease, Molecular Cancer, The Journal of Pathology, Molecular Cancer Therapeutics, Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, European Journal of Medicinal Chemistry and Cancer Treatment Reviews, 4 book chapters and 3 student handbooks. She has got one international patent (WO/2010/052510). Her work has been cited 924 times (h-index 15; i10-index 24).
She was a reviewer for several international peer-reviewed scientific journals including Current Medicinal Chemistry, Cancer Cell International, Cancer Management and Research, Journal of Experimental & Clinical Cancer Research, Journal of Cancer Research & Therapy, OncoTargets and Therapy, International Journal of Molecular Sciences, Cancers, Cells, and Molecules. She is also a member of Editorial Board of Global Journal of Cancer Therapy (since September 2014), American Journal of Pharmacology & Therapeutics (since May 2018), Current Cancer Therapy Reviews (since July 2018), and Clinical Cancer Drugs (since November 2018). She has been appointed by the European Commission as an expert to evaluate the project proposals submitted to calls under the FP7 HEALTH and HORIZON2020 funding schemes since 2012 onwards.
She was the co-PI of international collaborative project with Functional Genomics Center Zurich in Switzerland (PRIME-XS-0000184 Proteomic profiling of retinal proteins from rat model of age-related macular degeneration from 2012-2014) and the PI of the University of Rijeka research grant No. 18.104.22.168.12 “Screening and biological evaluation of acid ceramidase and sphingosine kinase inhibitors as a new class of anti-tumour agents” (from October 2014 – June 2017). She is currently the PI of the project funded by the Croatian Science Foundation No. 2018-01 3900 “Dissecting the mechanisms of therapy resistance in BRAF-mutant colon cancer using an integrated –omics approach” (2019 – 2023) and the PI of the University of Rijeka research grant No. uniri-biomed-18-76 1209 “Molecular features associated with BRAFV600E-mutated versus wild type BRAF colorectal cancer” (2019-2022). She is also the PI of the project No. 3238 - EPIC-XS 012: “Proteomic analysis of acquired resistance to vemurafenib in BRAF V600E–mutant colon cancer cells” in collaboration with the University in Zurich/ Functional Genomics Center Zurich (6th August 2019-7th August 2022).
Major research interests of Dr Sedic include investigating molecular mechanisms of novel anticancer drugs, chemoresistance, novel combination treatments against cancer, cancer biology, cancer microenvironment, sphingolipids in cancer biology and treatment, and mass spectrometry-based proteomics, protein networks and protein-protein interaction analysis.
Dr Sedic’s publications over the last 5 years:
- Grbčić P, Car EPM, Sedić M. Targeting Ceramide Metabolism in Hepatocellular Carcinoma: New Points for Therapeutic Intervention. Curr Med Chem. 2019 Sep 11. doi: 10.2174/0929867326666190911115722. [Epub ahead of print]
- Sedić M, Grbčić P, Pavelić SK. Bioactive Sphingolipids as Biomarkers Predictive of Disease Severity and Treatment Response in Cancer: Current Status and Translational Challenges. Anticancer Res. 2019 Jan;39(1):41-56. doi: 10.21873/anticanres.13078.
- Visentin S, Sedić M, Pavelić SK, Pavelić K. Targeting tumour metastasis: the emerging role of nanotechnology. Curr Med Chem. 2018 Dec 19. doi: 10.2174/0929867326666181220095343. [Epub ahead of print]
- Klobučar M, Grbčić P, Pavelić SK, Jonjić N, Visentin S, Sedić M. Acid ceramidase inhibition sensitizes human colon cancer cells to oxaliplatin through downregulation of transglutaminase 2 and β1 integrin/FAK-mediated signalling. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2018 Sep 5;503(2):843-848. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2018.06.085. Epub 2018 Jun 21.
- Racané L, Ptiček L, Sedić M, Grbčić P, Kraljević Pavelić S, Bertoša B, Sović I, Karminski-Zamola G. Eco-friendly synthesis, in vitro anti-proliferative evaluation, and 3D-QSAR analysis of a novel series of monocationic 2-aryl/heteroaryl-substituted 6-(2-imidazolinyl)benzothiazole mesylates. Mol Divers. 2018 Apr 17. doi: 10.1007/s11030-018-9827-2. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jelovica M, Grbčić P, Mušković M, Sedić M, Pavelić SK, Lončarić M, Malatesti N. In Vitro Photodynamic Activity of N-Methylated and N-Oxidised Tripyridyl Porphyrins with Long Alkyl Chains and Their Inhibitory Activity in Sphingolipid Metabolism. ChemMedChem. 2018 Feb 20;13(4):360-372. doi: 10.1002/cmdc.201700748. Epub 2018 Jan 30.
- Bistrović A, Grbčić P, Harej A, Sedić M*, Kraljević-Pavelić S, Koštrun S, Plavec J, Makuc D, Raić-Malić S*. Small molecule purine and pseudopurine derivatives: synthesis, cytostatic evaluations and investigation of growth inhibitory effect in non-small cell lung cancer A549. J Enzyme Inhib Med Chem. 2018 Dec;33(1):271-285. doi: 10.1080/14756366.2017.1414807.
- Bistrović A, Krstulović L, Harej A, Grbčić P, Sedić M*, Koštrun S, Pavelić SK, Bajić M, Raić-Malić S.* Design, synthesis and biological evaluation of novel benzimidazole amidines as potent multi-target inhibitors for the treatment of non-small cell lung cancer. Eur J Med Chem. 2018 Jan 1;143:1616-1634. doi: 10.1016/j.ejmech.2017.10.061. Epub 2017 Nov 11.
- Bistrović A, Harej A, Grbčić P, Sedić M*, Kraljević Pavelić S, Cetina M, Raić-Malić S.* Synthesis and Anti-Proliferative Effects of Mono- and Bis-Purinomimetics Targeting Kinases. Int J Mol Sci. 2017 Nov 1;18(11). pii: E2292. doi: 10.3390/ijms18112292.
- Grbčić P, Tomljanović I, Klobučar M, Kraljević Pavelić S, Lučin K, Sedić M. Dual sphingosine kinase inhibitor SKI-II enhances sensitivity to 5-fluorouracil in hepatocellular carcinoma cells via suppression of osteopontin and FAK/IGF-1R signalling. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2017 Jun 10;487(4):782-788. doi: 10.1016/j.bbrc.2017.04.100. Epub 2017 Apr 19.
- Gregorić T, Sedić M*, Grbčić P, Tomljenović Paravić A, Kraljević Pavelić S, Cetina M, Vianello R*, Raić-Malić S.* Novel pyrimidine-2,4-dione-1,2,3-triazole and furo[2,3-d]pyrimidine-2-one-1,2,3-triazole hybrids as potential anti-cancer agents: Synthesis, computational and X-ray analysis and biological evaluation. Eur J Med Chem. 2017 Jan 5;125:1247-1267. doi: 10.1016/j.ejmech.2016.11.028.
- Kraljević TG, Harej A, Sedić M, Pavelić SK, Stepanić V, Drenjančević D, Talapko J, Raić-Malić S. Synthesis, in vitro anticancer and antibacterial activities and in silico studies of new 4-substituted 1,2,3-triazole–coumarin hybrids. Eur J Med Chem. 2016 Nov 29;124:794-808. doi: 10.1016/j.ejmech.2016.08.062. Epub 2016 Aug 31.
- Marko Klobučar , Mirela Sedić, Peter Gehrig, Jonas Grossmann, Mario Bilić , Lana Kovač-Bilić , Krešimir Pavelić , Sandra Kraljević Pavelić. Basement membrane protein ladinin-1 and the MIF-CD44-β1 integrin signaling axis are implicated in laryngeal cancer metastasis. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular Basis of Disease, 2016 1862(10):1938-54. doi: 10.1016/j.bbadis.2016.07.014. Epub 2016 Jul 25
- Z. Rajić-Džolić, I. Perković, S. Kraljević Pavelić, M. Sedić, Nataša Ilić, D. Schols, B. Zorc. "Design, synthesis and cytostatic activity of novel pyrazine sorafenib analogues" , Medicinal Chemistry Research 25 (12), 2729-2741, July 2016. doi:10.1007/s00044-016-1667-y
- Kraljević Pavelić S, Klobučar M, Sedić M, Micek V, Gehrig P, Grossman J, Pavelić K, Vojniković B. UV-induced retinal proteome changes in the rat model of age-related macular degeneration. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular Basis of Disease, Volume 1852, Issue 9, September 2015, Pages 1833–1845.
- Sedic M, Gethings LA, Vissers JP, Shockcor JP, McDonald S, Vasieva O, Lemac M, Langridge JI, Batinić D, Pavelić SK. Label-free mass spectrometric profiling of urinary proteins and metabolites from paediatric idiopathic nephrotic syndrome. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2014 Sep 12;452(1):21-6.