Sandra Kraljević Pavelić graduated at the Faculty of Science, University of Zagreb, Croatia in 1997 (professor of biology) where she obtained her MSc. in science in 2003 and her PhD. in 2006 as well. From December, 2002 - September 2009 she was employed at the “Ruđer Bošković” Institute in Zagreb, Croatia. She is employed at the University of Rijeka, Faculty of Health Studies. Since 2014, she is a member of the Slovenian Research Agency (ARRS) medicine panel, and since 2017 she is a member of the European Science Foundation (ESF, Strassbourg, France) biomedical panel. Since 2017 she is a member of the Creative Team's Executive Board on the University of Rijeka Project “27th Neighborhood Program of the European capital of culture 2020”. From 2015 to 2018 she was Head of the University of Rijeka Center for High Throughput Technologies and since July 2018 she is Head of the Doctoral School of the University of Rijeka. She leads or led 6 domestic and international projects, coordinated one EU project, leads the project of the Center for Excellence for Bioprocessing of the Adriatic Sea in front of University of Rijeka, three projects with industry and one project with local administration. The scientific work of Sandra Kraljević Pavelić covers the area of drug/medical products development and research on pathogenesis of disease mechanisms. She mentored 15 graduate theses, 10 doctoral dissertations and published 98 scientific papers (ORCID: 0000-0003-0491-673X), 15 chapters in the book, 1 co-authored book, and has 2 patents.
Some publications of Dr. Kraljevic Pavelic over the last 5 years:
1. Pavelić K, Martinović T, Kraljević Pavelić S* (2015). Do we understand the personalized medicine paradigm? EMBO rep, 16 (2):133-136.
2. Kraljevic Pavelic S*, Klobučar M, Sedić M, Micek V, Gehrig P, Grossman J, Pavelić K, Vojniković B (2015) UV-induced retinal proteome changes in the rat model of age-related macular degeneration. BBA - Mol Basis Dis 1852 (9): 1687-2012.
3. Ratkaj I, Zurga P, Bulog A, Peter-Katalinić J, Kraljević Pavelić S* (2015) 70-kDa heat shock cognate protein expression as a putative biomarker of heavy-metal burden in Mytilus galloprovincialis. SpringerPlus, 4:344
4. Rešetar D., Marchetti-Deschmann M., Allmaier G., Peter Katalinić J, Kraljević Pavelić S* (2016) Matrix assisted laser desorption ionization mass spectrometry linear time-of-flight method for white wine fingerprinting and classification, Food control 64: 157–164
5. Peršurić Ž., Osuga J., Galinac Grbac T., Peter-Katalinić J., Kraljević Pavelić S*. (2017) MALDI-SpiralTOF technology for assessment of triacylglycerols in Croatian olive oils, Eur J Lipid Sci Technol 119(2): 1500375-1500385.
6. Klobučar M, Sedić M, Gehrig P, Grossmann J, Bilić M, Kovač-Bilić L, Pavelić K, Kraljević Pavelić S* (2016) Basement membrane protein ladinin-1 and the MIF-CD44-B1 integrin signaling axis are implicated in laryngeal cancer metastasis, BBA Mol basis dis 1862 (10): 1938–1954.
7. Gazivoda Kraljević T, Harej A, Sedić M, Kraljević Pavelić S, Stepanić V, Drenjančević D, Talapko J, Raić-Malić S (2016) Synthesis, in vitro anticancer and antibacterial activities and in silico studies of new 4-substituted 1,2,3-triazole–coumarin hybrids, Eur J Med Chem, 124:794- 808.
8. Tireli M, Starčević K, Martinović T, Kraljević Pavelić S, Karminski-Zamola G, Hranjec M (2016) Antioxidative and antiproliferative activities of novel pyrido[1,2-a]benzimidazoles, Molecular Diversity, 21 (1):201–210.
9. Gregorić T, Sedić M, Grbčić P, Tomljenović Paravić A, Kraljević Pavelić S, Cetina M, Vianello R, Raić-Malić S (2016) Novel pyrimidine-2,4-dione-1,2,3-triazole and furo[2,3- d]pyrimidine-2-one-1,2,3-triazole hybrids as potential anti-cancer agents: Synthesis, computational and X-ray analysis and biological evaluation, Eur J Med Chem, 125, 1247-1267
10. Racané L, Sedić M, Ilić N, Aleksić M, Kraljević Pavelić S, Karminski-Zamola G. (2017) Novel 2-Thienyl- and 2-Benzothienyl-Substituted 6-(2-Imidazolinyl)Benzothiazoles: Synthesis; in vitro Evaluation of Antitumor Effects and Assessment of Mitochondrial Toxicity. Anticancer Agents Med Chem. 17(1):57-66
11. Grbčić P, Tomljanović I, Klobučar M, Kraljević Pavelić S, Lučin K, Sedić M (2017) Dual sphingosine kinase inhibitor SKI-II enhances sensitivity to 5-fluorouracil in hepatocellular carcinoma cells via suppression of osteopontin and FAK/IGF-1R signalling. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 487(4):782-788.
12. Andrea Bistrović, Anja Harej, Petra Grbčić, Mirela Sedić, Sandra Kraljević Pavelić, Mario Cetina, Silvana Raić-Malić (2017) Synthesis and Anti-Proliferative Effects of Mono- and Bis-Purinomimetics Targeting Kinases, Int. J Mol Sci 18(11), 2292
13. Jergović A-M, Peršurić Ž, Saftić L, Kraljević Pavelić S* (2017): Evaluation of MALDITOF/MS technology in olive oil adulteration, J Amer Oil Chem Soc 94(6):749–757.
14. Franzoni A, Markova-Car E, Devic-Pavlic S, Jurisic D, Puppin C, Mio C, Marila De Luca M, Petruz G, Damante, Kraljevic Pavelic S* (2017) A polymorphic GGC repeat in the NPAS2 gene and its association with melanoma. Experimental Biology and Medicine 242 (15): 1553- 1558.
15. Kraljević Pavelić S*, Micek V, Filošević A, Gumbarević D, Žurga P, Bulog A, Orct T, Yamamoto Y, Preočanin T, Plavec J, Peter R, Petravić M, Vikić-Topić D, Pavelić K (2017): Novel, oxygenated clinoptilolite material efficiently removes aluminium from aluminium chloride intoxicated rats in vivo. Micropor Mesopor Mat 249(1); 146-156.
16. Klobučar M, Visentin S, Jakovčević A, Bilić M, Kovač-Bilić L, Đanić D, Pavelić K, Kraljević Pavelić S (2017) Expression of polysialic acid in primary laryngeal squamous cell carcinoma. Life Sciences 173:73-79.
17. Lončar-Brzak B, Klobučar M, Veliki-Dalić I, Sabol I, Kraljević Pavelić S, Krušlin B, MravakStipetić M (2018) Expression of small leucine rich extracellular matrix proteoglycans biglycan and lumican reveals oral lichen planus malignant potential, Clin Oral Invest, 22(2), 1071-1082.
18. Glamocija U, Padhye S, Spirtovic-Halilovic S, Osmanović A, Veljović E, Roca S, Novaković I, Mandić B, Turel I, Kljun J, Trifunović S, Kahrović E, Kraljević Pavelić S, Harej A, Klobučar M, Završnik D. (2018) Synthesis, Biological Evaluation and Docking Studies of Benzoxazoles Derived from Thymoquinone. Molecules 23 (12); 3297-3314.
19. Klobucar M, Grbcic P, Pavelic Kraljevic S, Jonjić N, Visentin S, Sedić M (2018) Acid ceramidase inhibition sensitizes human colon cancer cells to oxaliplatin through downregulation of transglutaminase 2 and beta 1 integrin/FAK - mediated signalling. BBRC 503 (2); 843-848.
20. Peršurić Ž, Saftić L, Mašek T, Kraljević Pavelić S* (2018) Comparison of triacylglycerol analysis by MALDI-TOF/MS, fatty acid analysis by GC-MS and non-selective analysis by NIRS in combination with chemometrics for determination of extra virgin olive oil geographical origin. A case study. LWT - Food Science and Technology 95: 326–332.
21. Kraljević Pavelić S*, Simović Medica S, Gumbarević D, Filošević A, Pržulj N, Pavelić K. (2018) Critical Review on Zeolite Clinoptilolite Safety and Medical Applications in vivo. Frontiers in pharmacology 9:1350, https://doi.org/10.3389/fphar.2018.01350
22. Rešetar Maslov D, Svirkova A, Allmaier G, Marchetti-Deschamann M, Kraljevic Pavelic S* (2019) Optimization of MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry imaging for the visualization and comparison of peptide distributions in dry-cured ham muscle fibers, Food Chemistry, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2018.12.126